In this behind the scenes look at life among Hollywood’s movie makers, power-wielders and ‘beautiful people’, a major motion picture is being cast and every actor in Hollywood is vying for a part.
Thus the stage is set for Jackie Collins glittering and tempestuous exposé of a world most of us will only ever dream about.
Enter Neil Gray, the film’s proposed director who, although married to a beautiful and talented wife embarks upon an affair with screen sex siren Gina Germaine whose only motive is to secure a part in the film.
Meet Elaine Conti, notorious entertainer and wife of aging matinee idol Ross Conti whose greatest ambition is to relaunch her husband’s career.
Jackie Collins and Producer Aaron Spelling have conspired to produce the most exciting, sexy, steamy and compulsive soap opera of all time.
Hollywood Wives tells the stories of several women in Hollywood, from powerful talent agents and screenwriters to vivacious screen vixens and young, innocent newcomers. The mini-series generally follows the same plot as the novel, though it does omit certain subplots and characters.
Airing on ABC in February 1985, Hollywood Wives was one of the most watched miniseries of the 1980s. The 3-part, four-and-a-half-hour production was produced by Aaron Spelling, whose hit show Dynasty was no. 1 in the ratings at the time. Like Dynasty, costume design was by Nolan Miller.
Jackie Collins herself was credited as "Creative Consultant" for the miniseries, though she later made it clear that she was not actually consulted at all during production and was less than enthusiastic about some of the casting choices.
Hollywood Wives was nominated for an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Film Editing in a Limited Series or a Special" in 1985.
- Elaine Conti - Candice Bergen.
- Elaine is a Detroit girl turned Hollywood hostess, desperate to stay at the top while her marriage to former screen sex symbol Ross Conti crumbles beneath her. She is driven to improve her husband's career and her own standing within Tinseltown, but struggles to keep the secret that she is also a compulsive shoplifter.
- Marilee Gray - Joanna Cassidy.
- Marilee is Elaine's close friend. A wealthy Hollywood socialite, she is the daughter of a powerful studio boss and the former wife of film director Neil Gray.
- Karen Lancaster - Mary Crosby.
- Karen is the daughter of superstar actor George Lancaster, whom she does not get on with. Although friends with Elaine, Karen begins making a play for Elaine's husband.
Sadie is a Hollywood agent and star-maker who was responsible for Ross Conti's stardom in the 1950s, and is now one of the most powerful women in Hollywood.
Ross Conti - Steve Forrest.Ross is a fading Hollywood star, now in his fifties without a viable career.
- Neil Gray - Anthony Hopkins.
- Neil is a British film director. He is a recovering alcoholic, and although he is married to talented screenwriter Montana Gray, he is also caught in a seductive web with actress Gina Germaine.
- Jason Swankle - Roddy McDowall.
- Jason is a top interior designer who also runs a male escort agency which caters to lonely rich women.
- Montana Gray - Stefanie Powers.
- Montana is Neil Gray's second wife. A talented screenwriter whose new screenplay "Final Reunion" is one of the most talked about scripts in town, she is determined to break the glass ceiling of the Hollywood studio system.
- Gina Germaine - Suzanne Somers.
- Gina is a successful movie star but is tired of her role as a Hollywood sex symbol and now wants to be taken seriously as an actress. She is willing to do anything to advance her career, including blackmailing movie director Neil Gray.
- George Lancaster - Robert Stack.
- George is a beloved Hollywood superstar, a contemporary of Ross Conti's but still successful and in-demand, however he has a strained relationship with his daughter Karen.
- Oliver Easterne - Rod Steiger.
- Oliver is a Hollywood studio boss. Arrogant and abrasive, he cares only about getting box office results rather than artistic integrity.
Buddy is a young aspiring actor and former male prostitute with ambitions of stardom. Now married to Angel, he struggles to hide his past life as he attempts to make a career as an actor.
- Angel Hudson - Catherine Mary Stewart.
- Angel is Buddy's new bride, trying to find her own way in a new town. Her beauty and innocence often makes her an easy target of the more unscrupulous residents of Hollywood.